All You Need to Know About Squash Sport
Are you looking for a sport that is perfect for your total well-being? If yes, then Squash Sport is the right choice for you. Squash is physically demanding, strategic, and fun at the same time. It is the perfect option for people looking for a sport to ward off everyday stress.
Squash is a safe and amazing way to stay fit. It allows you to stay healthy and flexible. Now you must be thinking how to play squash? Here is an article with all you need to know about squash sport, rules, history of squash, and how to play squash.
What is Squash Sport?
Squash sport is a challenging and fun game of strategy, talent, agility, and physical as well as mental strength. It is a racket and ball sport that is played by two players. Squash is played in a four-walled court using a small, hollow rubber ball and racket.
The main aim of the game is to hit the rubber ball with a racket in a way that the opponent player can not play a valid return.
History of Squash
Now that you know what is a squash sport, let’s have a look at the history of squash.
Squash sport is played across the globe and it has a big following. The game has its history from the 19th century with variations present in the modern game. Back in the 19th century it was called racquets and it evolved to the modern squash sport we know today.
The first squash court was built in 1883 in Oxford. It helped to spread the reputation of squash as a popular sport. In 1928, the first national federation of squash – the Squash Racket Association was formed in England. And in 1930, the first British Open was organized. Women joined the squash tournament in 1950.
In 1993, the wWorld Squash Federation was created. It brought together 150 countries and around 18 million people across the globe. Squash is expected to become an Olympic sport in 2024.
Health Benefits of Squash
Squash is a sport like tennis and badminton. It has a wide range of health benefits of squash. Squash is one of the healthiest sports in the world. Thirty minutes spent on a squash court is perfect for cardiorespiratory workout. Constant rallies and running helps in building muscular strength in the lower body. It can also enhance flexibility in your back and core (Source). Below mentioned are some health benefits of squash.
- One of the biggest health benefits of squash is that it helps in burning calories.
- It improves aerobic fitness which boosts lung, heart, and muscle endurance.
- Squash boosts the flexibility as it involves stretching and lunging motions.
- Helps to develop strengths in leg and arm muscles.
- Squash boosts cardiovascular fitness.
- It boosts mental strength and concentration.
How to Play Squash?
Now that you know what is squash and what are the health benefits of squash, the next question is how to play squash?
Squash sport is a racquet game which is played by two players using a small hollow ball. After serving the ball, the players take a turn to hit the ball against the wall present in front. They try to hit the ball below the outline and above the tin.
The ball can strike the back or sides of the walls at any time as long as it hits above the tin and below the line. The ball should bounce once on the floor and the players can move anywhere around the squash court.
The object of the squash sport is to hit the ball off the front ball until your opponent fails to return the ball. Everytime you make your opponent fail to hit the ball back to the wall, you get a point. Points form sets which helps to determine the winner of the match.
To succinctly describe, the aim of the squash sport is to beat the opponent by hitting the ball to the front wall and making it bounce twice on the floor before the other player can hit the ball or return it to the wall.
Players and Equipment
Squash is an amazing game that can be played at any age. A squash game is played between two players in a box-like room. In doubles, four players play the game on regular or special courts.
Below mentioned are the equipment for squash.
A squash racket is similar to that of a tennis racket. There are two types of rackets: heavy aluminium racket (145 to 170g) and lightweight graphite rackets (110 to 145g). The heavy rackets provide great durability and stability to the beginners. On the other hand, the lightweight rackets are perfect for intermediate to advanced players.
The diameter of a squash ball is between 39.5 to 40,.5mm andit weighs between 23 and 25g. There are basically five categories of balls according to skill levels.
- Double Yellow – This squash ball is slow and has a low bounce. It is used by advanced level and professional players in the match.
- Yellow – It is also a slow ball and has low bounce. This squash ball is also used by advanced level players in the game.
- White – This one is a medium-speed ball. It has medium bounce and is for intermediate level squash players.
- Red – It is a fas ball and has high bounce. This one is suitable for occasional players.
- Blue – This one is a fast ball with high bounce and is a perfect choice for beginners.
A squash court is a playing surface that has four walls. The surface has a front line which separates the front and back portion of the court. It also has a half court line which separates the left and right sides of the back portion. It forms three boxes in the courts: the front half, the back right quarter, and the back left quarter. Both the two boxes on the back surface have small service boxes.
The four walls of the court are divided into two side balls, one front wall, and a back wall. There is one ‘out line’ that runs along the top of the wall present in the front. When a ball hits outside this area, a point is awarded to the opponent.
In a squash sport, scoring can be done in four ways:
- The ball bounces two times before the other player hits the ball,
- Squash ball goes out of the outline.
- The ball hits the net or the backboard.
- A player causes interference intentionally to keep the opponent from getting the ball.
There are two ways of scoring Squash.
The first way is called ‘PAR.’ In this the players play first to 11 points. The players are allowed to score a point from either their or opponent’s serve.
The second style is more conventional. In this players can play first to 9 points but they only score points from their serve.
At present the ‘PAR’ system is the official scoring system and is used in the majority of amateur games.
Winning the Game
The next question after knowing how to play a squash game is, how to win the match? In order to win a squash game, the players need to attain the determined number of sets needed to win the game. Most of the sets in the squash sport are best of 5 games. So the plate who is first to that number, wins the match.
Rules of Squash
- A squash game can be played by two players or four players at a time. In singles, two players participate in the match, and in doubles four players, play the game.
- Players need to hit the ball using a racket within the boundaries present on the back wall.
- At any time, the squash ball can hit the side ball.
- When a player accidentally gets into the way of an opponent and is not able to get out of the way, then it is called a let.
- If a player intentionally tries to get in the opponent’s way, then it is a foul.
- A player should win a match by two clear points.
- A player is not allowed to carry the ball and hit it twice.
- When serving the ball, one foot of the player should be present within the service box.
- While returning a serve, the players can hit the ball after it bounces or on the volley.
A squash sport is highly interesting with a wide range of following across the globe. It is not only an entertaining sport, but also allows you to stay fit and healthy. Squash is one of the healthiest sports that will help you release your stress and forget about everything else. So what are you waiting for? Play a squash game and do share your experience with us by dropping a comment.