Rules and Obejctive of Wiffle Ball Game
Want to learn the Wiffle ball rules? Then you are in the right place.
Wiffle ball is a clarified and miniature version of the baseball game that can be played both indoors and outdoors. These games have existed in some form or other for decades. However, the Wiffle ball is a modern game that came into existence in 1953, when a person names David Mullany designed an easily curving ball for his 12-year-old son.
This game became quite popular very rapidly. It is played in city streets, beaches, backyards, and recreational sports pitches for generations.
This game is played in triangular Wiffle ball pitches with various scoring zones. Wiffle ball pitches vary in size depending on the field where the game is played.
In this article, we will explain the objectives, rules, and equipment of the Wiffle Ball.
The objective of Wiffle Ball
The main objective of the Wiffle ball game is to score more runs as compared to the opponents. Wiffle ball game in itself has an overriding objective. Because this game is a miniature version of baseball, it requires very less equipment and can be easily played in various places safely and enjoyably.
Players & Equipment
Wiffle ball is a minimal requirement game, and it requires very little equipment. You will need one Wiffle bat and a couple of Wiffle balls. The great thing about this sport is that it can be played between 2 to 10 players. When playing with two players, one will be a pitcher, and the other will be a hitter.
With ten players Wiffle ball field is house packed. Every player can be assigned a zone or role, i.e., double zone, triple-zone, catcher, and pitcher. Every player has to remain in the assigned role during the game.
Wiffle ball scoring is done when a player hits the ball into a marked zone of the field without getting intercepted by the opposition fielder. Hitting the Wiffle ball in a single zone will allow the player to advance one base, and when a hit is made in the double zone, it will allow the player to advance two bases and a triple three bases.
When the hit is made across the triple-zone, it is declared a home run. Each player, after completing a circuit and running past the final base, will score a run for the team.
Winning the Game
When both the teams complete the agreed-upon number of innings (which is usually six), the team scoring the highest runs will be the winner of the game.
In case the number of runs made is the same at the end of the game, the match will be declared a draw. Certain wiffle ball leagues also tie the games, and the points will be shared equally between the two teams, whereas other leagues insist on playing one extra inning. The highest-scoring team in the final inning will be the winner of the game.
Wiffle Ball Rules:
Below we have mentioned all the Wiffle ball rules in detail:
- The number of players in Wiffle ball game is between 2 and 10.
- A coin is tossed at the beginning of the game to decide who will field and who will be doing batting first. Some other ways of deciding this can be through Rock, Paper, and Scissors.
- Each batsman faces three balls from the pitcher just like baseball and tries to attempt a hit into the scoring zones of the Wiffle ball pitches.
- In case the player fails to hit the ball within three pitches will result in the batsman being declared out of the game.
- Unlike baseball, there is no rule of stealing bases. Making movement between the bases will one only on scoring a hit.
- Hitting the ball in the single zone will allow the player to advance from one base to hitting right into the double zone. This will enable the player to advance into two bases and one triple base.
- A home run is declared after hitting past triple zones.
- Every time a player runs around the base scores, one run for the team.
- There is two way in which a player will be out in Wiffle ball game. First, by behind cough when running between bases and second, missing three strikes.
- Once all the batters have had their turn, the inning will be over, or if the three are out, innings will be over. Then it will be the opposition player’s turn to play the innings.
- Each team has to decide one agreed number of innings; usually, it is 6. The game is to be played within a set time limit; often, it is 55 times.
- When the game ends, the winning team will be the one with the highest runs. Some waffle ball leagues allow draw games, where the points are split equally. However, most of the leagues and even the informal games will hold one extra innings for both the team. The team which scores the highest run in the final inning will be declared the winner.
Wiffle ball came into existence in 1953 and is famous ever since then. Wiffle Ball is a miniature version or an easier variation of baseball. The Wiffle ball was designed to be played with ease in both indoor and outdoor areas with confined spaces. The minimum equipment required in this game makes it more famous among people. The rules of the game are quite simple resembling those of baseball. gather your friends to play Wiffle ball and make the most of your winter Holidays.