Shut The Box Game; Rules, Tips, and Tricks
Shut the Box game is a classic dice game that is easy to learn but difficult to master. The goal of the game is to roll the dice and close as many numbered tiles on the game board as possible.
If you want to know the strategy and rules to win this game, then this article is for you:
How to Play Shut the Box Game?
here are some rules of Shut the Box Game:
- The game is played with a Shut the Box game board, which has 9 numbered tiles (from 1 to 9) arranged in a 3×3 grid.
- Each player takes a turn rolling two dice.
- The player must then choose a number of tiles to shut down, the sum of which must equal the total rolled on the dice.
- For example, if a player rolls a 5, they could shut down the tiles numbered 1, 2, and 2.
- If a player cannot shut down any tiles, their turn is over and they score the sum of all the tiles that are still up.
- The game continues until one player has shut down all of the tiles. That player wins the game.
How to win Shut the box game?
Here are some tips on winning Shut the Box game:
- Try to shut down as many tiles as possible in each turn. This will give you more options for future turns and reduce your chances of scoring a high number.
- Be strategic about which tiles you shut down. Try to shut down tiles that will give you the most flexibility in future turns. For example, if you have the tiles 1, 2, and 3 open, you might want to shut down the 3 first, so that you can still shut down the 1 and 2 with a roll of 4 or 5.
- Pay attention to the tiles that are already shut down. This will help you determine which tiles you can shut down with your current roll. For example, if the tiles 1, 2, and 3 are already shut down, you know that you can’t shut down the 6 with a roll of 5.
- Don’t be afraid to take risks. Sometimes, you may need to take a risk and shut down a tile that you’re not sure you can use in a future turn. This could be a good strategy if you’re trying to score a low number.
- Have fun! Shut the Box is a fun game, so relax and enjoy the process.
Shut the Box Game Rules Variations:
You can change the rules of the game Shut the Box game to make it more exciting each time you play.
Using the Sum
A common way to play is by using the total of both dice. Roll the dice and add the numbers together. Then, you can close any uncovered numbers on the board that add up to the total you rolled.
For example, if you rolled a 3 and a 6, you could close these groups of numbers:
- 4, 3, and 2
- 5, 3, and 1
- 5 and 4
- 6, 2, and 1
- 6 and 3
- 7 and 2
- 8 and 1
Just like in the normal rules, if you can still close numbers after each roll, your turn keeps going.
And just like in the normal rules, if you’ve closed numbers 7, 8, and 9, you can choose to roll only one die.
Making the Game More Interesting:
There are different ways to play the game to make it more fun.
Always Sum Duo:
In this way of playing, you need to close two number spaces that add up to the total of both dice. For example, if you roll a 3 and a 6, you could close:
- 5 and 4
- 6 and 3
- 7 and 2
- 8 and 1.
But you can’t close all the boxes. There will always be one left open.
If someone closes all the boxes in their turn, they win right away.
Instead of 9 spaces, this version has 12 spaces on the board.
The Long Game:
Two players take turns. The first player rolls both dice and closes boxes. Then the second player tries to open the boxes the first player closed. Rolling doubles gives an extra turn. The first player to either close or open the boxes wins.
Can you play Shut the Box game by yourself?
you can play Shut the Box game by yourself. Just compete against your lowest score.
What happens if I roll a double?
If you roll a double, you get an extra turn. This can be a helpful way to catch up to your opponents or to secure a low score.